WordPress Security Best Practices 2017
Since years, WordPress security is a talk of town for every WordPress site owners. We have seen many website owners constantly worried about the security of their WordPress website.
Being an open source script platform, you cannot deny vulnerability to all sorts of attacks. But you shouldn’t blame WordPress because that can be prevented.
During the blacklisting the websites, Google demotes around 50,000 websites for malware and phishing sites.
We would recommend to pay careful attention towards WordPress security-related activities. If you are still unknown to WordPress vulnerabilities then get ready to face consequences. It is high time to know the security measures for WordPress website in 2017 in case you missed last year.
We are sharing some useful tips on securing your WordPress websites. There are actually lot of things that can be done to tighten the security of WordPress website.
Securing your WordPress website doesn’t mean risk elimination. It is all about risk reduction.
Risk of poor security:
1. If your WordPress website is hacked even once, it causes serious damage to your business reputation.
2. Your important data like user information, passwords will be at risk.
3. Some hacking activities involves Installation of malicious software, and can even distribute malware to your users.
4. Losses in business revenues.
Powering millions of websites, WordPress is a soft target for hackers. Although no website is100% secure, you can certainly minimize the possibility of hacking. Let’s take a look at why it’s important to secure your WordPress website.
1. Prevent your online business from losing income.
2. Protect your hard earned customer’s sensitive information. Once your customers loose trust on your business you can never get it back.
3. Minimize the risk of infecting other websites. The possibility of malware spreading on other websites increases if your website is hosted on shared servers.
4. Build a strong business image by staying on top of security. It creates a positive impact on your reputation and builds trust among customers.
Do not worry if you are not technical, you can easily implement these tricks yourself. Following tips can be followed to prevent WordPress hacking:
1. Maintain regular backup files: Backup is the first defense activity. You should take back ups of your whole website at a location other than hosting server.
Depending upon the updation ratio of your website, you should set the regular backup at intervals of one day or 1 week. There are many free and paid WordPress plugins to set automatic backups.
2. Keep your WordPress updated always: You always receive the notifications of new updates in WordPress. Yes, that annoying notifications irritate you but consider them and update it. You can set the updates as manual or automatic. Setting automatic updates is easy but sometimes compatibility issues can give you headaches. Hence we suggest to update your WordPress website manually.
3. Optimize your permissions: WordPress default permissions are must explore thing for any WordPress website owner or developer. Permissions govern the rights of the user access. Wrong permissions can be fatal. It is quite tedious job to allot permissions when there are lots of users.
We recommend to install User Activity Log Pro WordPress plugin to ease these activities. When you are working on a big project which requires lot of people to login to the website. It becomes difficult to track the user activities.
This WordPress plugin is a wonder and is needed for website owners.
4. Securing your login and admin pages: A strong combination of password and username is not enough to secure your website. Preventing Brute force attacks is very important. You can improve your WordPress login security by using iThemes security which offers various security options.
5. Hide your admin panel: Hiding your back panel is extremely needed as the default panel URL is same for all websites. Brute force attacks can be prevented by hiding the backend URL. A hacker cannot break in when you hide the door itself.
This plugin is a great help in monitoring day to day activities done by various users. Hackers initiate the cracking activities mostly through admin login. By monitoring activities you can prevent any suspicious activity done on website.
We agree that no any website is 100% secure but we can make sure that we have maintained some security measures. With these traditional security measures, we can at least minimize the potential risk of hacking.
Do you need any help regarding WordPress security? At Solwin Infotech we take good care of your WordPress websites.