WordPress and Drupal both platforms are great for all kinds of websites. They both are open-source content management systems (CMS) and have a plethora of plugins or modules to add functionality to your website. Knowing WordPress or Drupal: which platform is better is to rely on your business goal. Moreover, they both are adorable and customizable to meet your unique business requirement.
WordPress and Drupal can help you with web design and avoid the considerable time process of coding your website by hand.
However, WordPress and Drupal also differ in various ways. In this article, we have compared the WordPress and Drupal platform for your website. So, let’s check out a head-to-head comparison without any further trouble.
WordPress Vs Drupal (A Quick Comparision)
(A) WordPress Introduction
WordPress is a well-known web platform that helps you to create a stunning website or blog these days. Moreover, it is a content management system (CMS) written in PHP and MySQL database.
WordPress platform has a tremendous community of developers who can support you when you are stuck with website development. Experts such as web designers, web developers, business owners, and others can instruct you with WordPress website development if you face any problems during development.
Furthermore, installing WordPress to create your website is as simple as that. You can install it in a few minutes. You can also refer to this guide How To Install WordPress for more detailed information. Apart from this, the WordPress platform supports powerful media management for users. You can easily upload images and other media, such as audio files, videos, and PDFs to your WordPress website.
WordPress is a flexible platform in which you can develop various types of Websites such as:
- Business website
- ECommerce store
- Professional Website
(B) Drupal Introduction
Drupal is a free and open-source platform that can be used by people or groups of users, even though you are lacking technical skills. It is written in the PHP programming language. The software is ready-to-use and also contains a Web-based installer and add-on modules.
In addition to this, the platform provides a user interface that permits you to build and publish your content without any hurdle. The platform adapts endless content types like text and media content with favorably customizable forms.
Some examples of website types that can be developed with the Drupal platform like,
- ECommerce service website
- News website
- Banking website
- Social Networking website
2. WordPress And Drupal Statistics
The BuiltWith study illustrates that WordPress powers approximately 41% of the internet, while around 4% by the Drupal platform.
Some other statistics related to WordPress and Drupal,
- WordPress and Drupal cover more than 65 percent of the CMS market.
- The keyword WordPress is searched around 29,40,000 times every month by individuals from all over the globe.
- WordPress shows 196 locals and 40 of those at 100 percent translation.
- Drupal works in 100 languages.
- The WordPress 5.3 version has been downloaded more than 7,000,000 times.
- The Drupal Community has 1.3 million members.
- Drupal has 2.9 shares of the CMS market.
- The 0.56 million live websites running on the Drupal platform.
- Drupal is an older platform compared to the WordPress platform.
(A) WordPress Pros
- WordPress design and development are cost-effective. Apart from this, the maintenance cost is also relatively pocket-friendly as you can do it yourself rather than hiring a web designer every time you update your website.
- WordPress offers a responsive design to ensure that your website runs fantastic on different devices. Importantly, you can not put your extra efforts into developing separate websites to run on them.
- With the WordPress platform, you can add images, videos, and other media elements without any hurdle.
- Another important benefit of WordPress is social media integration that lets your business expand the reach. There is no need to login to your social media separately as the WordPress website integrates perfectly with all social media networks.
- WordPress makes it easier for you to transfer from one website design to another.
(B) Drupal Pros
- The Drupal platform is scalable and able to match the scale of the online business, no matter where it is on its growth path.
- A key benefit of Drupal is flexible content delivery. As a CMS platform, Drupal allows you to build and put out content as a service to any device, application, or channel.
- The Drupal platform is a great choice for web development, even though you do not have technical knowledge in coding.
- Drupal provides high usability and compatibility with almost all major browsers including, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and many more.
All in all, both the CMS platforms (WordPress and Drupal) have their own unique benefits and limitations.
4. Comparing Plugins And Themes (WordPress or Drupal For Website)
(A) WordPress Themes And Plugins
WordPress platform has:
- 54,000+ free WordPress plugins and thousands of premium plugins available online.
- Over 6000+ free WordPress themes and thousands of premium themes available in the global market.
(B) Drupal Themes And Modules
The Drupal platform has:
- There are 44,000+ free modules, plus thousands of premium modules available online.
- More than 2,800 free community-contributed themes and hundreds of premium themes available in the market.
WordPress clearly wins here.
5. Mobile-Friendly Development
Generally, a mobile-friendly website is developed to work in the same way across different devices. It simply means that nothing will be changed on a laptop and a mobile device.
One thing that you have to understand is how your images will be managed for a mobile-friendly website. With responsive design, images do not just automatically scale correctly. Right! Both (WordPress or Drupal) CMS platforms have solutions to responsive pictures, but they take distinct paths.
In addition to this, both CMS platforms have plugins or modules that provide legacy support on your website. Moreover, WordPress Plugins and Drupal modules also allow you to regenerate your previously created images. Always make sure some themes will scale with images, and it can lead to website performance problems.
As far as the actual design factor, both CMS platforms are designed agnostic, and you can design your templates according to your requirements. Both the CMS platforms have responsive themes that can save your development time.
It’s a tie between both CMS platforms.
6. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. It helps to increase the quantity and quality of traffic to your website via organic search engine results. True!
There is an SEO advantage towards CMS if it is developed using the best standards. If the developer does not know what they are doing, then Drupal websites can go terribly bad. But, WordPress has fewer chances of error. The important thing is that the search engine algorithms change frequently, and SEO tactics grow in response to those modifications.
For WordPress, you can use the Yoast SEO plugin to rank higher in search engines. It contains everything that you need to manage your website SEO. However, for Drupal, you can install the PathAuto module to promote SEO on your website. It changes the node URLs to more user-friendly URLs. Ultimately, the WordPress platform has more SEO related plugins compared to Drupal.
Related Read: Best Free SEO Tools (Get High Traffic In 2020)
WordPress core is secure. On the contrary, one survey found that WordPress plugin vulnerabilities accounted for around 55.9 percent of all comprehended entry points for malicious performers.
The Drupal platform provides powerful security. That is the reason, it is a popular content management system for government institutions and other large security-conscious users.
In addition to this, the Sucuri analysis depicts that WordPress is the content management system used by 74% of the hacked websites. In contrast, Drupal only accounted for 2% of the hacked websites.
Both WordPress and Drupal are a secure platform for the website. However, the fact is that WordPress relies so heavily on third-party extensions does make it more vulnerable compared to Drupal. So, clearly Drupal wins in security.
Related Read: WordPress Hacked: How To Clean Up Your Website?
WordPress Or Drupal – Which Is A Better Choice?
It is hard to say whether WordPress or Drupal is better for your website. You have to focus on choosing the correct platform for your specific project or website. We are providing WordPress themes and plugins, so it would be easy to tell that WordPress is the best solution. But that would not be a suitable conclusion for our blog readers. If you are developing a website with a complex data organization that needs to be customized, then Drupal may be the best choice.
WordPress platform is the best platform for most problems. Use Drupal unless you know the exact reasons why you choose it and what it provides. Otherwise, go with the WordPress platform because it will make your journey more comfortable.
That’s the end! We hope from this article you will get a clear difference between WordPress and Drupal for your website. Both WordPress and Drupal platforms are free to download and install. With the WordPress platform, plugins are normally more manageable without requiring a WordPress developer. Whilst, in Drupal, you will ought a Drupal developer to control installing or updating any modules.
Apart from this, many individuals choose to work with WordPress due to their available plugins for almost everything from SEO to social media and more. If you require help while website development, then Drupal developers may be more expensive than WordPress developers.
You can contact us regarding the WordPress customization services. Apart from this, you can also hire a WordPress Developer and get maximum benefits of WordPress. We are providing WordPress web maintenance service at affordable prices.
All the Best!